Sunday, June 15, 2008

Research, with emphasis on the search



So this weekend I went out to do a preliminary investigation into a possible research topic: buckwheat diversity and agroecology.  Big mistake.  I should have just concentrated on touring about and taking photos, because this was tres frustrating.  I should warn you now that this post is a rant.

Fairly warned?

So a couple weeks ago I met a development studies professor at  Yunnan University who is an Yi scholar.  The Yi are an ethnic minority with a large population in Yunnan, and have a long history and many different clans.  They are known for living in mountainous areas, making strong alcohol, and warmly welcoming their guests.  Professor Peng suggested I go to Yi villages to research buckwheat.  They have a long history of cultivating it and making delicious buckwheat pancakes that they eat with honey. She emphasized how tasty these treats are, and how she savored them as a kid.  Sounds good, I thought.   

So then she introduced me to Mr Chen, a man who works in the audio-visual resources lab of the anthropology museum.  A very nice fellow, he called up a friend who runs a little bed and breakfast  in the Yi village Danuohei.  "Are you guys still planting buckwheat out there?  I have this 美国朋友 (American friend) who wants to conduct a research investigation."  So it was settled that I could set a time to go out there and that they plant buckwheat but not just now, closer to September, but I could still talk to people about it and see the land and get an initial idea of the situation.  The following week I arranged with Mr. Chen to visit this village, and he suggested I bring along a translator.  Probably a  good idea, I agreed.

The following Friday, bright and early, Nina and Zheng, a young grad student from KIB, and I set out from Kunming on the 8:30 bus for the Stone Forest, where we could catch a van that would take us to the Yi.  I should tell you, the day before Mr. Chen called and said our hosts were going to attend a wedding, and wanted to bring us.  So we bought red envelopes for wedding gifts, and toyed with the idea of buying some decent clothes, and thought, this could be fun! 

     

No comments: